Fleeing the Complex Fleeing the Complex

Love the game so much Marcus! Just two things I'm not entirely clear on, both in the hallway standoff scene-
Who the heck was that 4 armed guy that passed by? Reference?
And what was the glasses wearing guard doing with his hand exactly? Another reference?

PuffballsUnited responds:

Haha he is a Podracing alien named Gasgano.
The glasses wearing guard was just itching his nose haha

GTB feat. Haneul 하늘 - Distance (Original Mix) GTB feat. Haneul 하늘 - Distance (Original Mix)

Well, it's a pretty nice emotional trip. My most obvious problem with it is how short it is, and how the beat doesn't actually pick up until 2/3 of the way in. Maybe it's just not my preference. But tbh it didn't feel like you took it quite as far as you could've, I think you should've kicked it off with what you did in the outro, built up the intensity steadily, then dropped off into the half speed part with the vocals, so basically just more traditional trance format. You were probably trying to go a different direction from what is normally done, but I think it's kind of limiting the song's potential. Sometimes there's a reason everyone does something a certain way. That's the only real problem I can think of though, the song itself is beautiful, instruments are very well balanced.

Interference Interference

Overall, the song itself is great, though there's a few minor issues within it that should be addressed.

- Random weird sounds make a great intro, but I think 14 seconds is kind of pushing it. 5-7 seconds would be more reasonable.

- At 0:44 the beat is powerful, but it's also rather empty. You've got the high and low frequencies down cold, but the mid-low levels just feel like they need something. Personally, I think a side chained 8th note pluck bass synth would be perfect for the job.

- 1:14 to 1:44 just seems to drag on tbh, cut this part in half and it'll be a-ok.

- The buildup for the first drop just feels very very empty. I can faintly hear that 16th snare, but that sucker needs to be turned WAY up if it's going to do its job. The second drop is a little better since the snares are more audible, but it's still not quite there. You should add one or two new elements to them so it really feels like a transition. A pitch rise would be a good option, or that rising white noise you used elsewhere in that song. Or you could turn up the cutoff on the lead to really lend to the effect. It's up to you really.

- During the drop, both the bass and the pad feel kind of weak, like the main lead is hogging all the glory. Try increasing the number of voices or maybe boosting certain parts of their frequency spectrums.

- Put a little more oomph into that support snare at 2:12.

- I guess you don't have to do this, but I really like it when the second drop sort of goes its own way and does something different instead of being a carbon copy of the first drop. It doesn't have to be drastically different, you could just add in some new melody to accompany the main lead, or tweak the core melody in an interesting way(listen to Firefly by Jim Yosef). But I mean, a song doesn't have to have 2 unique drops to be amazing. It's just something that I prefer to hear.

Well, that's about all I can point out. It was a very fun song, seems like you have potential. Keep at it man! :)

NovaFlash responds:

Hey there,

I know what you are putting down, and I agree with this. I had begun the transition from Live 9 to FL studio, and this was the last song i was making on it, mainly for the reason of audio quality. Live is good for free, but when you are making more professional songs, it gets hard when you are limited, and the full versions are fucking costly.

I do appreciate the feedback, too. Thank you <3

NF

DeadHead - Starsight DeadHead - Starsight

Why, that's the snare from the Dub Smash kit on Logic isn't it? XD

Don't feel bad. I've used it quite a lot too, which is why I recognized it. It's really one of the few decent ones that the presets have to offer. Something I might recommend for you is a website called Splice.com, where you can get tons of samples royalty free from other artists. This is speaking from experience, just 8 bucks can get you 100 new sounds to play around with it, and it was a godsend for my music. You sure seem to be coping alright with what you have, though the drops do feel a wee bit empty. I would recommend just one more element to fill it up a little, what I'm picturing is a reverbed stabbing lead playing on a high c# alongside the snare. Just a random idea.

AssassinOnTheHill responds:

Yeah, I solely use Logic Pro X, so that limits me to the presets. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that ;)